Shrimp-ly The Best...
A visit to Charleston's Bubba Gump restaurant got me hooked on their deliciously simple Shrimp Pasta Dish. Yet, as I try to make things a little healthier these days, I found the weight of the buttery sauce and reliance on pasta didn't fit my nutritional needs. So, I made some of my own modifications to amp up the nutritional value without compromising on the taste.
By replacing the butter with heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil, substituting zucchini noodles for vermicelli, and throwing in some flavor with extra herbs and veggies, this dish is sure to satisfy without derailing your healthy eating goals.
(Note: I don't have a good image of my shrimp dish, so this image below comes from Damn Delicious' version of Shrimp & Zucchini Noodles and is also,...well,...Damn Delicious! I'll hopefully be replacing this with my image soon!)
1 lb shrimp (frozen or fresh, deveined)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1, 14oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1/4 cup dry white wine (chablis or chardonnay)
3/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp each, salt & pepper
1 lb zucchini noodles (you can buy these pre-spiralized or you can do it yourself.)
1 cup spinach, torn (optional)
4 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced (optional)
2/3 cup feta (make sure you get fresh feta - it makes a difference!)
6-8 leaves of fresh basil, chiffonade
1. Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add 1 tsp olive oil. Add shrimp, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Saute shrimp until opaque and no longer pink.
2. While shrimp is cooking, pour remaining olive oil, tomatoes, wine, dried basil and oregano, and salt & pepper in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
3. If using mushrooms, add to the shrimp mixture and continue to saute.
3. When shrimp is done, remove any remaining moisture at the bottom of the pan and add tomato mixture to the pan. Stir to heat through. Add torn spinach, if using, and mix until spinach wilts. Turn off heat and stir in zucchini noodles.
4. Add shrimp and "zoodle" mixture to a large serving bowl and top with crumbled feta and basil. Serve and enjoy!